Private Folder – hide and password protect folders
||Private Folder is a free tool which can hide or password protect your private folder. Works on Windows 7 and 8
||All Windows platforms start from Windows XP, include the latest Windows 8 and 2012. Both 32 and 64 bit variants
What’s new in Ver 1.1.70:
- Added “master password” to prevent others from viewing/changing your rules. The password is also required to uninstall application.
- New installation option to hide from “Program and Features” list.
- Hide folder
The folder will not be displayed in any folder list, neither from explorer nor command prompt. Owner who knows the path can manually go into it without first un-hide it with configuration tool.
- Lock folder
User will get access denied when accessing folder, need unlock with PrivateFolder configuration tool. Combine with “Hide” option, this can create an absolute hidden folder. In this mode it will return “windows cannot find …” instead of access deny message, just same as the folder does not exist.
- Lock with password
Upon access, a password prompt popup, access will get permitted with correct password, without unlock from configuration tool.
- Automatically reset lock
When the unlocked folder is no longer in use (there is no more new file opens) for certain period (default 2 minutes), the lock will be automatically reset in case you forgot to re-lock folder after used.
- When folder or it’s parent renamed, or drive letter changed, the rule will automatically adjusted to reflect changes, the folder still got hidden/locked.
- If a mount point created on the volume, accessing folder through the mount point will also got blocked.
- The hide/lock apply to all users (include administrators) on all sessions.
- Support both basic volume and dynamic volume.
- No count limitation on folders protected.
- No change to file system.